Friday, March 2, 2012

Books

 When we bought our new place in December, we started packing items in anticipation of the February move.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I love my books.  I love to read them, touch them, share them, and generally have them around me.  So it was a difficult time to have them put away in boxes.  But they are all out and put away in their new home.  This self is by the couch in the living room.  It has room for books I'm currently reading, magazines, a few of my autographed books and others I want to keep close at hand.
 In one of the cupboards in the kitchen I found room for the cookbooks.  This is just a small portion of the collection I once had.  Amy has possession of many of the remaining and we also gave away a large number.  I love sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee and a few cookbooks by my side as I plan what to cook for the next few days.  Our taste in food has changed in the last few years.  We eat less red meat and have increased the number of vegetarian meals we consume in a week.
Here's the shelf for oversized books.  Mostly from John's collection of Indian books.  Although one of my favorites is a book about Kansas which has some stunning photographs.
 I found a shelf over the desk in my sewing room to house the complete set of Man Booker Prize winners.  Two are currently in Indy - Midnight's Children (one of my all time favorites) and The Bone People.  I'll have to collect them the next time I'm there.  I have started reading these in order and have the collection thanks to my daughter Amy who sent them to me one year as a Christmas gift.





There is a little curio cabinet on the wall in my sewing room.  It's a good home for a few of our books.  And we may add a few curios once they are found.

Here's the main shelf in the bedroom which has all the books I want to read in between those I get from the library or read for the four book clubs in which I participate.  It is a reading life and it is good.

No comments:

Recent Books I've Read

  • Confederate in the Attic
  • Where Men Win Glory
  • Zeitoun
  • Body Surfing
  • Secret's of Eden
  • Sarah's Key
  • The Year of Magical Thinking
  • The 19th Wife
  • Out Stealing Horses
  • The Help

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

We retired after years of being in the computer support business, Jane with Brulin Corp and John with Unisys. We tried tent camping but finally settled on RV living. While we are part timers now, we hope to move to becoming full-timers eventually. John works on his HO model of Ellis, KS UP railroad and Jane persues her search for used books to read and sell on Amazon. We winter in Apache Junction, AZ and summer in Indiana.